ON THIS PAGE
What Is Developmental Editing?
A developmental edit occurs sometime after the first draft and before line editing/proofreading. Developmental editing focuses on the “big picture” story elements, such as: plot, characters, perspective, theme(s), pacing, emotional tension, and organization/structure. I also will consider your genre to assess whether your story “ticks the boxes” for a given genre’s requirements. You will receive the feedback and direction you need to begin a focused revision that leads to an even better story. (See the What to Expect section below to learn what you receive from Chaunce Stanton Author Services during a developmental edit.)
What Can I Expect from Developmental Editing from Chaunce Stanton Author Services?
- Fair (and clear) pricing
- Realistic completion date
- Estimated completion date communicated to you at time of booking
- Once your project is scheduled, you will not be “bumped” by another project
- Developmental Assessment Document
- Your easy-to-follow “revision roadmap” to guide your next round of rewriting and revision
- Analysis of “big picture” elements (genre, theme, story type, pacing, structure, characters, tension, etc.)
- Story Outline (scene by scene)
- Character Index lists all named and unnamed characters and when introduced
- One 60-minute Follow-up Session
Schedule a Free Discovery Call!
How Much Does Developmental Editing Cost?
You’re in luck! Although I am very experienced in writing and editing (both professionally and for my own fiction), I am still building a new business. That means (for a limited time) I am offering discounted rates in order to find new customers.
The rates below are based on your project’s word count. For reference, many developmental editors charge two cents ($0.02) per word.
|Word Count||Your Cost*||Industry Rate**|
|up to 45,000 words||$400||up too $900|
|45,000 to 60,000 words||$650||$900 – $1,200|
|60,000 to 75,000 words||$800||$1,200 – $1,500|
|75,000 to 90,000 words||$1,000||$1,500 – $1,800|
|90,000 to 120,000 words||$1,250||$1,800 – $2,400|
|More than that? WOW!||Let’s Chat!||—|
** Industry rate calculated at standard of $.02 (two cents) per word.